What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is malicious software that encrypts files and demands a ransom payment from the user to unlock the encrypted files. It typically changes the file extensions to indicate that they have been encrypted.
For example, your original file extension was Test.docx, and ransomware infected your computer and changed the file extension to Test.crypted.
How does ASUS Secure Auto-Backup protect my files?
After the ransomware detection feature is enabled, the system will check to see if the files you are going to back up have been modified to specific file extensions before backing them up to the cloud. And if so, a warning window will pop up, and the backup job will be paused.
If your computer is attacked by ransomware, you just need to confirm that the malicious program has been removed from your devices, and then you can restore the files from the cloud to avoid the threat of hackers.
How to enable the ransomware detection feature?
- Left-click on the ASUS Secure Auto-Backup icon on the Windows taskbar.
- Go to [Settings] on the left side menu.
- Check the box for [Protect backup files from ransomware attacks] in the Ransomware detection section.
Where can I see the infected files?
If the system detects that your files have been modified with specific extensions, the warning window will pop up, and you can go to [Status] > [Error log] to view the infected files.
- You can stop the backup job immediately by clicking the [Stop] icon.
- You can restart it to back up the rest of the uninfected files by clicking the [Restart] icon.
Restoring your files from ASUS WebStorage
It's important to make sure that the malicious program has been removed from your devices before restoring files, otherwise, the files may get encrypted again.
- Select [Restore] on the left side menu.
- Click the [Restore Data] button.
- Choose the device you were using for the backup from the [Select device] drop-down list.
- Choose the version of the backup that was done before the ransomware attack from the [Select backed up time] drop-down list.
- Select an entire folder or just a single file from the tree view.
- (Optional) Change the restore path by clicking on the folder icon.
- Confirm the restore by clicking the [Confirm restore] button.
- Log in to the ASUS WebStorage for Web.
- Go to [Backup] > [Auto-Backup] on the left menu.
- Double-click on the backup device.
- Select the version of the backup that was done before the ransomware attack.
- Check the box of the file you want to restore and click the [Download] icon in the top-right corner of the page.
- Note： You can only download a single backup file each time. Downloading an entire backup folder or multiple files at the same time is not allowed.